PTA Board Position Descriptions
The President will manage the operations of the PTA Unit. The president serves as the presiding officer of the Local PTA and presides over executive board and general membership meetings. It is the president’s responsibility to be well prepared. The president distributes all materials to the appropriate officer or committee chair. The president directs the affairs of the association in cooperation with the other members of the board for a two year term. The term begins and ends at the close of the school year, as specified in the Local PTA bylaws. Participation and cooperation secured from officers, committee chairs and members will determine the success of the administration.
1st VP of Programs
The VP Aide will assist the President in meeting preparation and communications with the Board. The VP Programs role involves researching and booking programs/events for Red Ribbon Week. This job is done in coordination with the HMS Administration and PTA President.
2nd VP of Memberships
The VP Membership will recruit members and maintain Membership data throughout the school year. This includes:
- Coordinate events such as back to school drive and staff recruitment drives
- Collect and submit Membership payments
- Pay Council and National Dues annually
- Report to Texas PTA regularly
- Apply for Texas PTA Membership Awards
- Recruit and Chair the Lifetime Member Committee
- Attend the Lifetime Member Banquet (usually in February)
3rd VP of Ways and Means
The VP Ways and Means will manage the fundraising/income for the PTA Unit and be in charge of the Schedule Pick UP event in August. This person is responsible for overseeing all aspects of fundraising or income producing aspects of the Hendrick PTA including:
- School Supplies
- School Supply Cart
- PE Uniforms
- Fundraising efforts
As there are individual Chairman for each of these areas, the Ways and Means VP will make sure these Chairs have their budgets & Plans of Work turned in at the beginning of the year and oversee those budgets throughout the year. This position will oversee all fundraising events throughout the year and assist where needed. Also, will attend all board and general meetings and give reports for any of the areas that are not available to attend.
4th VP of Volunteers
The VP Volunteers will recruit, schedule, and manage volunteers for the PTA Unit. This person will work closely with Chairs and Coordinators to determine volunteer needs for all PTA events throughout the school year, and use Membership Toolkit to post signup forms and communicate with volunteers. The VP Volunteers will work with the Nominating Committee (typically February) to determine which Board positions will need to be filled for the following school year.
The Secretary will take minutes at each meeting and maintain a notebook containing the minutes and financial documents for the PTA Unit. Typically requires up to 3 hours per month for composing minutes and maintaining the Secretary notebook, in addition to meeting attendance.
The Treasurer will manage the budget and financial documents for the PTA Unit. Must work closely with the President on these tasks and must attend all Board and General PTA meetings.
- Study all references to duties and finances in the PTA bylaws and standing rules.
- Keep an accurate and detailed account of all monies received and disbursed.
- Keep on permanent file the PTA Employer Identification Number (EIN) assigned by the IRS, and the salestax permit assigned by the Texas Comptroller’s office, if one has been acquired.
- Present a financial report at membership meetings and executive board meetings. The beginning balance of the treasurer’s report must coincide with the ending balance from the previous meeting. If the PTA has more than one bank account, a separate financial report is prepared and presented for each account at both the executive board and membership meetings.
- Make timely deposits to a financial institution approved by the executive board of the association, and in a bank account in the name of the PTA.
- Reconcile monthly bank statements as soon as received from the assigned reviewer.
- Make disbursements in accordance with the budget adopted by the association membership. Bills should not be paid in cash. Checks cannot be written unless sufficient funds remain in the budget category to cover the expenditure. If not, a budget amendment must be approved by the membership prior to issuing the check.
- Ensure that members’ names and the Texas and National PTA portions of the dues are sent to the Texas PTA State Office monthly.
- Maintain a list of assets (i.e., popcorn or snow cone machine, cash register, computer) owned by the PTA.
- Submit to the Financial Reconciliation Committee all required materials in a timely manner.
- Complete and file the appropriate 990 form on or before four and one-half months after the fiscal year ends. If authorized in the budget, a professional may be retained to prepare the 990 for the association.
- Upon leaving office, provide a detailed report of all fundraisers conducted in the current sales tax reporting period (annual or quarterly).
The Parliamentarian will assist the PTA President with the proper execution of Roberts’ Rules of Order during PTA Meetings, assist the President with following our PTA bylaws and standing rules, answer questions about procedure if someone is unsure, but do not offer thoughts or opinions. Also responsible for bylaw and standing rule review and revision if needed. Must work closely with the President and must attend Board and General PTA meetings.
standing Committee Chairs
The Council Delegate will attend Plano Council PTA meetings as the HMS Representative and report pertinent information back to our local unit.
The Communications Coordinator will:
- Maintain and update Website (as needed and as people send new info/pics)
- Maintain and update online calendars
- Draft and send weekly eNews every Thursday 10:00 a.m.
- Update and maintain PTA Facebook page (send reminders, updates, and info).
- Assist with online form creation and editing as needed. (Volunteers VP and others can assist with this.)
- Attend Board and General Meetings
- This person needs to be able and willing to communicate with Hendrick office staff, PTA President, key people at feeder schools.
- This job can be done from home on your own time schedule provided the consistency of communication is maintained.
- This person needs to have Membership Toolkit knowledge or be willing to spend the time learning. (Personal training is available.)
- The busiest time for the year will be over the summer as the website is updated for the following year, new forms are prepared, advertising is needed for back to school events, etc.
- Must work closely with the President on these tasks and must attend Board and General PTA meetings.
The Hospitality Chairs will manage luncheons, food and baked goods the PTA Unit provides for the teachers, and at various other events. Some of the events include: back to school breakfast or lunch the week before school starts, luncheon every other month, Teacher Appreciation Week (which includes one luncheon for the week and a treat of some kind each day), and a winter/holiday luncheon. On the months that we don't do a luncheon, we try to do something smaller (for example: snacks and soda for their staff meeting). Hours will vary depending upon the type of event. Teacher Appreciation Week in May is the most time-consuming event of the year.
The Community Outreach Chair is responsible for communicating with the Council representative to address district-wide needs, as well as collaborating with their local campus in order to address concerns on their own campus.
Youth Protection Coordinator
The Fundraiser Chairperson will manage all fundraising events for the PTA Unit. This person will work closely with the VP Ways and Means and may have coordinators to manage specific tasks such as Box Tops.
Spirit Wear Chairperson
The Spirit Wear Chair will manage the ordering process for HMS Spirit Wear. This is a year-round job, as design selection and ordering take place over the summer.
The Reflections Coordinator will manage the process of entering HMS student Fine Arts submissions to the district Reflections Program.
The Socials Chairperson will manage the two student socials (fall & spring), including entertainment, ticket sales, and concessions. This job is done in coordination with a committee including grade level social coordinators and the volunteer coordinator.
Box Tops Coordinator
The Box Tops Coordinator will manage the Box Tops for Education drive. Responsibilities include collecting Box Tops; organizing Box Tops into groups of 50; mailing in collection sheets, bundled box tops etc. twice per school year (usually Nov. and March); promoting the event through the Communications Chair via Hendrick Enews, PTA ENews, and PTA Facebook page.
Spirit Night Coordinator
The Spirit Night Coordinator will manage 2 spirit nights per month. Responsibilities include choosing the restaurants to partner with and scheduling the spirit night events; making signs or picking up signs from restaurants and putting them around campus exterior; promoting the event through the communications chair via Hendrick Enews, PTA ENews, and PTA Facebook page.
The Library Coordinator will manage the schedule for the Library volunteers. This job is done in coordination with the HMS Librarian. Work with the librarian to coordinate volunteers for various library functions such as shelving, check-in/out, minor book repair, and lamination. Typically there are only 5 - 7 people needed. This coordinator also helps the librarian coordinate volunteers for the Book Fair (one or two a year). Many volunteers are needed to help with the Book Fair.
The Supply Cart Coordinator will manage inventory and volunteer schedule for the Supply Cart, which offers students an opportunity to purchase school supplies and spirit wear during Lunchtime. Also, purchase & restock supplies, update price list when new items are purchased, explain procedures to volunteers, ensure designated cash is always in the cash box, and make deposits to the treasurer as needed. Typically requires an average of 1-2 hours per week.
The School Supplies Coordinator will manage the selection and ordering process for school supply packs for all grade levels, band, orchestra and Spanish. This job is done in coordination with the HMS Administration and grade-level department heads.
Grade Level Social Coordinators
Assist the Socials Chairperson in the planning and preparing of fall and spring student socials.
8th Grade End of Year Celebration Chairperson
The 8th grade end of year coordinator will manage the planning and execution of the celebration for the 8th grade students. This job is done in coordination with a committee and the HMS Administration.
- Monday, December 5
- Tuesday, December 6
- Wednesday, December 7
- Friday, December 16
- Monday, December 19